Tan Prep & Aftercare
How to Extend the Life of Your Spray Tan
Before Your Tan:
- Exfoliate 24 hours prior to tanning At the very minimum 6 hours before tanning. Timing is crucial!
- Hydrate…Hydrate..Hydrate! Drink lots of water.
- Make sure to remove any previous self-tanner or spray tan with an exfoliating mitt you can buy one here.
- Avoid using any products high in pH.
- Avoid showering/shaving/using hair products immediately before your session. (If you must shower right before please just rinse with cool water, do not use any products that may cling to the skin and block your tan from developing).
- Do not apply any spray tan barriers. No deodorant/lotion/perfume/oils/makeup etc.
- Be prepared to wear loose/dark clothing after spray application. If you have a robe they are perfect for after a spray! Check out our favorite post spray tan outfits here.
After Your Tan:
- Wait the given amount of processing time until rinsing with water only. This amount of time is very important for the proper development of the tan!
- Avoid any activities that may provoke getting wet or sweating while your tan is processing.
- Always wear loose, dark clothing until rinse time. Click here for our favorite post tan outfits.
- When processing time is up, rinse WELL to prevent the cosmetic bronzer (temporary layer) from staining the skin. Rinse until the water is clear and double check for “streaks”. If streaks appear, get back in that shower & continue to rinse!
- Avoid the use of any soaps, shaving, hair washing, etc. during your first rinse.
- No. Lotion. Until. After. 24. Hours. Using and soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, or lotion within the first 24 hours will stop DHA’s job right in it’s tracts. This means that if you use any of the above mentioned before 24 hours, your tan may not turn out as intended.
- After the first 24 hours avoid products with mineral oils, petroleum, alcohol, parabens and sulfates found in most creams and body washes can cause your tan to fade unevenly and prematurely.
- Keeping your body moisturized is KEY to keeping the tan hydrated. Hydrated skin makes for an amazing, long-lasting color. Click here for a list of our favorite lotions, sunscreens, body wash and soaps that are all spray tan friendly. Moisturize every morning and night to prolong the life of your tan! Drinking a lot of H2O isn’t a bad idea either 😉
- Avoid the use of hot tubs and chlorinated pools!
- If you are a regular tanner, please be sure to exfoliate your tan off prior to a new application! This will ensure amazing, even and long-lasting results!